Food Service Manager
This is a salaried position reporting directly to the General Manager. The Food Service Manager is responsible for the daily execution of the prepared foods processes in our deli area. To supervise the ordering, receiving and stocking of all deli and cheese products. Plan and integrate in-store production of signature recipes into the mix. Meet department objectives for sales, margin and productivity goals for deli and cheese and to supervise and motivate staff. Is accountable for the overall deli performance and assumes the administrative responsibilities for deli financials and scheduling. The Food Service Manager will hire staff and ensure all new department associates receive proper training and supervision. As well as assist in store operations while providing prompt, friendly, courteous service to customers and staff.
STATUS: Reports to Store Manager
SUPERVISES: Food Service Staff
- CUSTOMER SERVICE
- Treat customers and staff fairly with consistency.
- Ensure all staff provides efficient, informative, and friendly customer service.
- Provide all staff with product education that can be translated easily to customers.
- PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT
- Hire qualified staff within established guidelines.
- Ensure effective on the job training.
- Provide timely, thorough and thoughtful performance evaluations.
- Take corrective counseling measures and/or disciplinary action as needed following established policy.
- Schedule staff within the allocated payroll hours to meet department needs.
- Conduct regular department meetings.
- Plan attractive deli and cheese sets using color and texture to enhance displays.
- Ensure that displays are replenished and rotated.
- Plan seasonal case sets.
- Check for out of dates and record waste; review waste log and adjust orders accordingly.
- Make certain products are appropriately signed with ingredient listings, allergens and special diets labeling..
- Work with the scanning department to ensure accurate up-do-date prices are reflected on shelf tags and signs.
- Ensure food prep, storage and display areas are maintained in a clean, orderly condition meeting health department standards.
- PURCHASING/PRODUCT SELECTION/PRODUCTION
- Ensure credits are requested - follow up to insure compliancy.
- Make certain deliveries are tended to immediately to ensure product integrity.
- Review invoices for accuracy; code, log and submit to accounting.
- Develop a core set of signature recipes.
- Plan the production schedule to include reheating hot food, prep for salad bar and sandwich production and for production of signature recipes.
- DEPARTMENT MAINTENANCE
- Maintain all deli and cheese display, prep and storage areas in a clean and orderly condition.
- Maintain department equipment in good working order. Advise store manager of equipment repair or replacement needs.
- Ensure staff is practicing safe food handling and are in compliance with hair restraints and glove use.
- PLANNING and COMMUNICATIONS
- Plan hot bar menu and develop plan-o-grams for case sets.
- Communicate regularly with Food Service and Cheese Staff regarding product deliveries.
- Maintain a calendar showing expected deliveries and potential arrival times.
- Work with marketing team to plan promotions, advertising and cross-merchandising.
- Encourage communication between yourself and staff.
- FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE
- Meet sales, labor, inventory turns and margin goals for department.
- Review departmental financial information and take corrective action as needed.
- Ensure accurate and timely department inventory counts, with all information submitted to accounting in a timely manner.
- Maintain records including accurate shrink records and purchase logs.
- REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS
- Perform duties in a safe manner. Follow safety procedures and promote a safe work environment.
- Abide by Co-op policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook and other company documents.
- Attend management meetings regularly.
- Perform other job related tasks as assigned by store manager.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule of nights, days, weekends, and holidays.
- Background and experience in food preparation
- A thorough knowledge of food safety standards
- Experience in food service and familiarity with natural foods a plus
- Ability to supervise others effectively
- Ability to organize, prioritize and delegate
- Good communication and people management skills
- Computer literacy
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple demands and follow through on commitments
- Regular and predictable attendance
- Able to work mostly on your feet for an entire shift with frequent bending, stooping, and reaching
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Deep Roots reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations, or the work environment change.