PRESENT: Steve Cooke, Dan Gillotte, Gail Graham, Jean Helms, Deirdrie Lang, Doug Walter, Bella Waters, Kelly Wiseman, and Karen Zimbelman.
A. MEETING PRELIMINARIES
- The meeting was called to order at 9:36 a.m. (PST) by Gail Graham.
- The agenda was approved as presented.
- Minutes of the meeting of 19 December 2005: M/S: Doug/Dan: approve the minutes as presented. Approved unanimously.
B. REPORTS AND DISCUSSION
Operations report. The board reviewed KZ’s operations report. Specific items discussed:
- task list review: board okays dropping the item about other site enhancements.
- member survey compilation: KZ noted that with seven votes as “not useful,” or “rarely used,” the listserve got the least negative reaction as in recent years. The board was happy to see that members rate many things as useful or frequently used and how even the ratings are over the top six rated items.
- membership & renewal: Memberships still not yet renewed are down to 19 primary members. KZ expects most, though probably not quite all, will renew.
- web content and stats: February numbers were included in report. Numbers look really strong. KZ’s best guess is that this is due to more and more new content on the site.
- web support services: KZ described upcoming changes to the site: footers at the end of listserve messages, blocking listserve attachments, revision to item index, synchronizing pages, new board section on the web board. The board discussed the pros and cons of a wiki with no final conclusion as to whether it’s a priority for CGIN at this time.
- grant funding: Congrats on the grant for the Livable Wage upgrade. Current members of the Livable Wage task force are: Crystal Halvorson (Menomonie Market), Sharret Rose (La Montanita), Kari Kaminski (Outpost), and Michelle Buchanan (New Leaf). They will be working with Carolee Colter. The update will be on the site by the annual meeting.
- NCBA & NCGA relations: KZ hasn’t been able to connect with Paul regarding a management contract between CGIN and NCBA. Gail offered to help get Paul’s attention regarding the contract and the OS&G tour if needed.
- Financials: 2005 was another great year for CGIN financially. KZ noted that CGIN’s tax return is almost complete.
C. ANNUAL MEETING PREPARATIONS
3. Nominating Committee report: The committee has been talking to potential candidates and welcomes more suggestions of individuals to approach. KZ will revise the candidate application packet and send it to Dan and Doug. A listserve announcement will be made this week. The board discussed criteria for great CGIN board members and agreed on: familiarity with CGIN, a staff member of a CGIN member, likely to attend CCMA. Applications are due 27 March.
4. Meeting schedule and planning: The board discussed several aspects of the upcoming meeting plans and schedule with the following conclusions.
- strategic planning session: Traditionally scheduled for Wednesday morning but may be able to hold later in the day if there’s no conflict with an NCGA board meeting (i.e. no one on both boards). Focus will be on CGIN’s future. The board would like to see an outside facilitator; Gail and KZ will work on this. The board supported inviting Paul Hazen and would really like to see all board candidates attend and participate. Steve will work on a meeting location. People weren’t opposed to meeting at Sevananda. Also, a reminder that the board has a “date” for pre-meeting drinks on 6/6/6 (6 June 06).
- Annual Meeting: We expect this will happen pretty much as in years past. KZ will work on confirming scheduling with Ann Hoyt and Robynn. Steve noted that tours will leave a little earlier to increase the chance that they’ll be back in time for the evening meetings. CGIN will contribute to the food Thursday evening for the meeting again.
- Board reorganization meeting: The board’s reorganization meeting (to confirm the election, elect officers, set the next year’s meeting schedule) will be on Friday prior to the banquet. KZ will remember to bring LOTS of chocolate. Kelly will not be able to attend CCMA or the board meetings.
D. LOOKING AHEAD AND WRAP-UP
8 May 2006 (conference call at 10:00 PST)
6 June 2006 – pre-meeting drinks (optional)
7 June 2006 – strategic planning session
8 June 2006 – annual meeting
9 June 2006 – board reorganization meeting
Meeting adjourned at 11:45 a.m. PST
Minutes by Bella Waters & Karen Zimbelman